Near shore

This category is for all near shore whipping or casting lures from boats near shore or land based casting.

Near shore

Postby Dreamcaster808 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:19 am

I recently bought two new lures. One 1/4 oz yellow with black eye and one 1 oz white with black eye.
Tried both out down the west side of Oahu, nanakuli tracks and ko'olina, with no avail.
In fact after only a week with the 1 oz I lost it from a cast.
Regardless I got zero hookups or strikes. Watching your videos makes it look so easy. But I notice a lot more red eye lures with more fish lands. I want to blame the lure that it doesn't have the red eye for no fish but I know that's not it. Any suggestions?

I'm really trying to target moi for it being a tasty fish, but I just want to catch fish period.

I wish I took time to learn the Palomar knot, now that my lure is gone.

Re: Near shore

Postby Dreamcaster808 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:37 am

Here's what I got from POP on Black Friday. I already regret the pole for it not having a swiveling reel, since whipping requires to to constantly cast and retrieve as fast as possible.

Postby SouthKonaKastMaster » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Just keep whipping those mark white plugs and you will get a strike...guaranteed. If you want to target moi specifically, try using grubs with 3/8 or 1/4oz barrel weight. Slowest retrieve possible without hooking bottom... Try whitewash sandy areas. Good luck and tight lines!

P.s. stick with equipment you have until you feel that you are ready to upgrade...no use spending dollars unless you know what kind of plugs or lures you want to throw.

Site Admin

Postby markwhite » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:55 pm

SouthKonaKastMaster wrote:Just keep whipping those mark white plugs and you will get a strike...guaranteed. If you want to target moi specifically, try using grubs with 3/8 or 1/4oz barrel weight. Slowest retrieve possible without hooking bottom... Try whitewash sandy areas. Good luck and tight lines!

P.s. stick with equipment you have until you feel that you are ready to upgrade...no use spending dollars unless you know what kind of plugs or lures you want to throw.

Mahalos for the suggestions SouthKonaKastMaster. Good stuff!

Site Admin

Postby markwhite » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Dreamcaster808 wrote:I recently bought two new lures. One 1/4 oz yellow with black eye and one 1 oz white with black eye.
Tried both out down the west side of Oahu, nanakuli tracks and ko'olina, with no avail.
In fact after only a week with the 1 oz I lost it from a cast.
Regardless I got zero hookups or strikes. Watching your videos makes it look so easy. But I notice a lot more red eye lures with more fish lands. I want to blame the lure that it doesn't have the red eye for no fish but I know that's not it. Any suggestions?

I'm really trying to target moi for it being a tasty fish, but I just want to catch fish period.

I wish I took time to learn the Palomar knot, now that my lure is gone.

For me the blk eyes have done way better. For Moi Curly tails works best. Black was always my favorite. The Palomar is very easy and a must know knot. Look it up on Youtube. Then practice it and test it. Good luck

Postby LinwoodK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Here's what I got from POP on Black Friday. I already regret the pole for it not having a swiveling reel, since whipping requires to to constantly cast and retrieve as fast as possible.

That sounds annoying!

Return to Near Shore